Thursday, May 14, 2009

Tomato Sauce with Onion and Butter

I read about this sauce last year in Orangette. It sounded wonderful and I even owned the book it came from. DH bought it for me years ago at a random book sale in the lobby of the building where he worked. I had never used it before.

This week A request spaghetti for dinner. I gave into her request just so I could finally try this recipe. It was so worth it, and I wish I hadn't waited this long. It is so simple and tastes so good. I can't wait until this summer when I have fresh tomatoes.


Photobucket



Tomato Sauce with Onion and Butter
Essentials of Classic Italian Cooking, by Marcella Hazan
  • 2 cups whole, peeled, canned plum tomatoes, chopped, with their juices (about one 28-oz. can)
  • 5 Tbsp. unsalted butter
  • 1 medium yellow onion, peeled and cut in half
  • Salt, to taste
Combine the tomatoes, their juices, the butter, and the onion halves in a medium saucepan. Add a pinch or two of salt. Place over medium heat and bring to a simmer. Cook, uncovered, at a very slow but steady simmer, adjusting the heat as necessary, for about 45 minutes, or until droplets of fat float free from the tomato. Stir occasionally, mashing any large pieces of tomato with the back of a wooden spoon. Taste and salt as needed.

Discard the onion before tossing the sauce with pasta.

No comments: