Friday, April 25, 2008

Flank Steak

I've been lazy the past few months. I haven't been cooking much. Well, I've been cooking but nothing to blog about. I've been scrounging for food. My kids have been eating fish sticks, tater tots, tuna fish & scrambled eggs. Last Sunday we realized that we had pretty well cleaned out the pantry and we needed to buy more food. We ended up at Sam's Club because we needed more peanuts and we came out with a bunch of meat. I used half a huge thing of meat to make a triple batch of meatballs. We also bought some a couple of beef roast & pork tenderloins and some flank steak.

Flank steak is one of those meals I remember from growing up. Mom would score the meat and broil it in the oven. When we first go married DH & I took a trip to Denver. I bought the Colorado Cache cookbook as a souvenir. It was a cookbook I remember my mother having. I think I've only used one recipe from it since, the flank steak marinade. We hadn't had it in a long time and DH remembered it as soon as he saw the meat at Sam's.

Tuesday night DH headed out to grill and I went out to document it for this blog. He thinks I'm entirely silly for taking pictures of food, but when he offered to flip the steak to see if the picture was better from the other side, I snapped a shot. Of course he was right.

Photobucket


I served meat with mashed potatoes and green beans cooked with caramelized garlic. It was a yummy meal. Much better than fish sticks and tater tots.

Photobucket


Marinated Grilled Flank Steak
adapted from Colorado Cache Cookbook
  • juice of 1 lemon
  • 1/2 cup soy sauce
  • 1/4 cup or more dry red wine
  • 3 Tbs vegetable oil
  • 2 Tbs Worchestershire sauce
  • 1 large clove garlic
  • pepper
  • chopped green onion

Mix ingredients. Put steak in ziploc bag and pour over. Marinate in refrigerator for several hours, turning occassionally.

Broil meat over hot coals for 5 minutes per side for rare.


I used less vegetable oil and soy sauce. I added more red wine. I threw in some parsley because I had some. DH loves it went I throw in some cilantro. It's a good marinade to play with.

No comments: