Thursday, January 10, 2008

Tomato Soup

A. rarely eats from the cafeteria at school, but when grilled cheese and tomato soup is on the menu, she always buys.

I found an old copy of Everyday Food in a drawer. I paged through and this soup caught my eye. It was a simple recipe, easy to make and it tasted fine. And the added bonus, I got to use my immersion blender. I blended it more than it said, knowing the children wouldn't take kindly to big chunks of tomatoes. All of them ate it. A. liked it even though it wasn't exactly like the cafeteria. My only complaint was slightly sweet. I might try different tomatoes next time.

Photobucket

Classic Tomato Soup
adapted from Everyday Food March 2006

  • 4 T butter
  • 2 T olive oil
  • 1 medium onion chopped
  • 1/4 cup all purpose flour
  • 3 T tomato paste
  • 2 sprigs fresh thyme (or 1/2 t dried)
  • 2 cans reduced sodium chicken broth
  • 2 cans (28 oz) whole peeled tomatoes in juice
  • salt & pepper
  1. In 5 qt dutch oven, melt butter over medium heat; add oil & onions. Cook until onions are translucent, about 5 minutes. Stir in flour & tomato paste, cook 1 minute
  2. Add thyme, broth & tomatoes, breaking up tomatoes. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer, 30 minutes
  3. Using an immersion blender, puree soup leaving a fair amount of chunks. Season with salt and pepper.

No comments: